I succeeded. Yes, you CAN use HP LaserJet 1012 from Windows 8.1,
although HP says it is not supported.
By the way, HP is stubbornly saying HP LaserJet 1012 is not supported
to work with Windows 8 and 8.1. So, if you want to try the steps
below, do it on your own risks.
Here's how I did. By the way, I tried the
method that works on Windows 7 before trying the following steps.
I tried to install it as HP LaserJet 3055. It didn't work, but
it might have changes some settings that may be required for the
following steps. If the following steps doesn't work, you may
want to manually install HP LaserJet 3055 PCL 6 driver, then delete
it, and try the following steps.
- Connect HP LaserJet 1012 to your computer via USB. This
seems to add "DOT4_001" printer port.
- Go to http://www.hp.com, and
download "HP Universal Printing Driver for Windows PCL 5".
The point is it needs to be "PCL 5". Don't download PCL 6.
That won't work. I haven't tested PCL 6 driver, but I am 99%
- Install the downloaded driver with "Typical" setting.
- Open "Device Manager" and select "Action" -> "Add Legacy
Hardware" and click "Next"
- Click on "Install the hardwsare that I manually select from a
list (Advanced)" and click "Next"
- Select "Printers" and click "Next"
- Select "DOT4_001" as a port and click "Next"
- Select "HP" as Manufacturer, and scroll down all the way in
"Printer" list. Then select "HP Universal Printing PCL 5".
You may also see "HP Universal Printing PCL 5(v5.7.0)", which may
or may not work. I haven't tested.
- Then follow the instruction (basically you just need to click
"Next") until the installation is done.
The above method at least worked for me. Now I am able to
print from Windows 8.1.
I really hate the idea of throwing away something that is in
perfectly good condition. My HP LaserJet 1012 has been serving
us for 10 years, and still working with absolutely zero problem.
It took a while for me to figure how to install (especially because HP
is stubbornly saying they won't support LaserJet 1012 on Windows
8/8.1), but I was able to make it work again, and it was a happy